esteefee replied to your photoset: AO3 series tip/suggestion! I have started doing a…
I like the Author’s Favorites idea, but, e.g., I have a 146 stories in SGA alone. That’s a helluva lot of work when readers can just click on the already existent sort link (works?fandom_id=70) and get them all that way. Unless I’m missing something?
The reason I prefer the per-fandom series is it’s a single click from the first story to get to another story, where otherwise (especially if an author has a lot of fandoms) then to get the next story, you have to click to the profile, then expand the list, then get to the work index, then pick a story.
Also in that kind of case (a fandom with TONS of stories), I would also love something like an “Author’s SGA Favorites”. :)
The broader point is more, I think it’s useful to use series as a way of curating your own stories for readers, and to help guide readers from one of your stories to others.
AO3 feed for Reese/Finch
Hey all, I have set up ao3feed-reesefinch, a tumblr that follows the Reese/Finch tag from the AO3 and posts the story announcements here to Tumblr. :) Follow to get fic announcements delivered to your dash!
(And see the original how-to post for instructions on how to set up a similar feed for another pairing or fandom!)
Fanfic Lifetime Stats
(posted to celebrate getting ALL my stories uploaded to the archive)
total count: 1,646,005 words in 330 works in 54 fandoms
earliest work posted: 1994
longest work: Revelations, 51,459 (and it’ll be longer once I finish it, which will be SOON)
fandom with most stories: American Idol RPF Season 8, with 44
number of fandoms with only one story: 25
Post your own! :D You can get them on the “Statistics” page linked off your main profile, using Flat View. (And haha I know my numbers are crazy but I do point to that 1994 start date, omg. Almost TWENTY YEARS at this.)
Setting up AO3 Feeds on Tumblr
I’ve worked out a pretty easy way to get AO3 fandom notifications on tumblr using the IFTTT service, yay. :) If there’s a fandom where you’d like to get all the story notifications on your dash, here’s how to do it:
1) See if someone else has already done all the work for you by looking in the #ao3feed announcement tag or just seeing if there’s an ao3feed-[fandom] blog already set up. If so, follow that blog. You’re done!
2) If not, set up a tumblr blog and named it ao3feed-[fandom] so other people can find it easily (eg, I’ve created ao3feed-thor for the Thor movie). You can use whatever theme you want. Keep in mind the entries are all going to be plain text.
3) Go to ifttt, create an account for this feed, activate the Tumblr channel, and select the new ao3feed-whatever blog as the blog that the account will post to. (At the time I write this, ifttt.com only allows you to post to one tumblr blog per account, so you have to make a new ifttt account for each feed you want to set up. Annoying!)
4) Now you need the AO3 feed URL: browse to the fandom that you want to follow on the AO3 and copy the URL from the RSS feed:
5) Go to the ifttt recipe I’ve created for AO3 feeds and REPLACE the Thor feed URL with the one you just copied.
6) Also add one or more tags for your fandom:
7) Click “Use Recipe”
8) Hover anxiously over the Tumblr blog refreshing until the first story appears. (This won’t happen until someone posts a new story to that fandom tag! So if you have made a feed for Super Obscure Fandom you may have a wait, alas.)
9) Tell people you’ve set up a new feed under the #ao3feed announcement hashtag!
Do you think Naomi Novik ever looks at AO3
sees some incest mpreg
and whispers to herself “I never wanted this.”
AO3 temporary issue!
If you see anything weird on the AO3 in the next few hours (from when I post this, which is 8:20pm US eastern time on Thursday August 16) no worries, just hang tight:
It was a DNS typo, already fixed, but due to the way DNS info propagates, you might still get a weird redirect in the next four hours or so, after that it should be all clear.
Please reblog to spread the word in the next few hours, if you see this before then and have a chance! <3